My name is Nelson Grimmett. I am a first-year fifth-grade teacher at Cleveland Elementary School in Lawton. Teaching is my second career. I joined the U.S. Army at age 22 and served as a Unit Supply Specialist (92Y) during my tour of duty. After my military service, I worked for the federal government as a civilian and spent the next 20 years as a logistics analyst, resource management analyst, accountant, and budget analyst. I was responsible for forecasting, planning, executing, and balancing millions of dollars each year for multiple military organizations.
For years, I enjoyed it because I was really good at my job. I was one of the top analysts in our organization. But one day, I found myself wanting to do something more meaningful with my life than crunch numbers in a cubicle and generate reports that many leaders can't interpret without assistance. In 2022, I transitioned into teaching. I returned to college and completed my BBA at Cameron University in May 2025. Lawton Public Schools hired me under an emergency certification in August, and I chose Southeastern Oklahoma State University to complete my M.Ed. to meet my alternate certification requirements. I am working toward completing my M.Ed. at Southeastern Oklahoma State University by December 2026.
After I finish my M.Ed., I intend to pursue a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree at Southeastern Oklahoma State University because I eventually want to teach economics, marketing, or statistics at the university level until I am ready to retire. I may also continue writing and doing some business consulting.
In addition to my career and academic pursuits, I will be happily married to the love of my life for 25 years as of May 2026. My wife and I have two children. My daughter is an LPN, and her husband is attending medical school in Athens, Ohio. My son is pursuing his nursing degree through Cameron University but will be transferring to the University of Oklahoma this Fall.
I was born and raised in a rural farming community of 400 people in Nettie, WV. The Army was my way out of poverty and afforded me many opportunities that I would never have had otherwise. I am the first in my family to graduate with a bachelor's degree. I will be the first to graduate with a master's degree. And I will be the first to graduate with a doctorate as well.
I love to read, write, drink coffee, spend time with my dogs, and watch Star Trek reruns. I have been in ministry for 29 years and have served as the senior pastor of Great Plains Apostolic Church in Lawton for the last 10 years. I read a lot and have written a few books, which are available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I enjoy research and history most of all.
One idea I have been considering for this course involves tornadoes and storm preparedness in Oklahoma. Living and teaching in this part of the country means that severe weather is a normal part of life for our students. Instead of simply reading about tornado safety from a worksheet or textbook, students could create a digital story that explains what tornadoes are and how families should prepare for them. The story could follow the path of a storm forming, a warning being issued, and a family taking the proper steps to stay safe. Students could gather images, write narration, and organize the information into a clear sequence that teaches both science and safety.
This idea could easily connect to science lessons that already take place in fifth grade. Students study weather patterns, storms, and the water cycle during the year. A digital story about tornado formation and preparedness would allow them to research how tornadoes develop, what warning signs to watch for, and what actions people should take when a warning is issued. Instead of simply memorizing vocabulary terms, they would be explaining the process in their own words while telling a story.
The readings for this week are helping me see why this approach might work well. Robin (2016) explains that digital storytelling allows students to combine narrative with images, audio, and digital media to communicate ideas. That stood out to me because students today are already used to learning through visuals and video. When those same tools are used for learning, students often become more engaged and more thoughtful about how they present information.
Digital storytelling could also help students organize their thinking. When students create a story, they have to decide what information belongs first, what comes next, and how everything connects together. That process encourages them to understand the topic rather than simply repeat information they read somewhere else.
I also think this approach could benefit other teachers in the building. Weather safety is something every school in Oklahoma has to address at some point during the year. A digital storytelling project could serve as a cross-curricular activity that integrates science, writing, safety, and technology.
Hi Nelson,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and learning about your journey into teaching. It’s inspiring to see someone transition from such a long and successful career into education. Your dedication to continuing your education and setting the example as the first in your family to earn advanced degrees is very impressive. I’m sure that your life experiences bring a very valuable perspective to your 5th grade classroom. I also really like your idea for a digital storytelling project about tornadoes and storm preparedness! Thank you for sharing!
Hi Nelson,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing such a thorough accounting of your life and work. I am always impressed by people who choose to step out of their current career path and into a new one. Congratulations on doing so and I hope this new journey is a fulfilling one for you! I'm certain your students, current and future, appreciate your contirbutions to their educations.
Being from Michigan, and having my fair share of tornado close-encounters, I find your idea of using DST to help students learn more about storms and preparedness. I'm interested to see where you take the idea throughout this course.
Side note: I got a little excited when I read that you like watching Star Trek! My mom is a Trekkie and I am named after Doctor Miranda Jones from the episode "Is There in Truth No Beauty?"
Hello, Nelson,
ReplyDeleteYou have had quite a life's experience from soldier, to pastor, to teacher, author, and aspiring doctoral student! I am very excited about the story you are considering for your focus this term. Storm preparedness is an important topic in Oklahoma, as storms have shaped our lives. I look forward to learning more. Note: Please be sure to follow APA format for sources/citations.
Hi Nelson--wow! what an amazing journey you have had! I loved reading about your life and your experiences. I think storm preparedness is a great topic to use for an idea on digital storytelling. This is Joni Sullivan, and I am struggling with how to comment under my name so it is logging me in as anonymous until I can figure it out.--sorry about that)
ReplyDeleteIt is a pleasure to meet you, Nelson, and I want to start by thanking you for your service and congratulating you on being a first-generation college graduate—achieving your BBA and now pursuing your M.Ed. and DBA is an incredible inspiration! I was really struck by your transition from high-level logistics to fifth-grade teaching; your background in resource management and the ministry must give you such a unique perspective on classroom leadership. I absolutely love your idea for a digital storytelling project on tornado preparedness. Living in Oklahoma, students have a visceral connection to weather, and as Robin (2016) suggests, moving them from passive consumers to digital creators allows them to "own" that knowledge (p. 18). Integrating the science of storm formation with the narrative of a family's safety plan is a brilliant way to address the 5th-grade weather curriculum while providing a meaningful service to the community.
ReplyDelete