Most of my time so far has gone into writing the script and figuring out how I wanted it to flow. At this point, I’m moving into actually putting the story together. I’m starting with the narration so I can match everything else to it rather than guessing at timing. I already know some parts are going to need to be redone once I hear it all the way through.
Right now, the script is in a good place. It has a clear beginning, middle, and end. It starts off like a normal day, then shifts to the problem, explains what happens during a tornado, and walks through what someone should actually do. It finishes with what comes after. I kept it simple on purpose so someone can follow it without having to stop and figure out what I’m saying.
Going into week 7, I’m focused on building the final version. I need to add visuals that match what is being said, rather than just throwing in random images. I also need to record the narration and make sure it sounds clear and steady. After that, I’ll line everything up and go back through it to catch anything that feels off.
If I need help with anything, it’s picking visuals that actually add something to the story and not just fill space. I also want to make sure everything flows the way it should. If the timing is off, people will lose interest, or I will lose the impact I want the story to have. Some of the images I’ve found don’t really match what I’m saying, so I’ll need to swap those out.
Some of the tools from this week look like they would work well for this. WeVideo and Adobe Express both seem simple enough to use without getting overwhelmed. That matters for my students as well. If something is too complicated, they check out before they even get started. A simple tool keeps the focus on what they are trying to say.
The audience for my story is people living in tornado-prone areas, especially my students and their families. A lot of people hear warnings but don’t fully understand what they mean or what to do next. This is meant to clear that up. The goal is for them to know what to do if they hear a warning, rather than waiting or guessing.
Working on this has helped me get better at breaking information down so it actually makes sense to someone else. I had to decide what really needs to be said and what doesn’t. I also had to stay organized, so the story doesn’t jump around.
Digital storytelling can help students, especially those who struggle with writing. It gives them another way to explain something. It also makes the work feel more relatable because it’s something other people can practically watch and use. My role is to guide them and keep them focused on making something clear and useful.
At this point, I just need to finish putting it all together and make sure everything lines up the way it should. This project has taken more time than I expected, but I think it will be worth it in the end. With tornado season ongoing, this topic feels real, and I want the final product to actually help people know what to do during a tornado.
Nelson,
ReplyDeleteI am really interested in your story! I am from New Jersey so I really have never experienced a tornado. Like you said it is helpful for everyone to know what to do if they experienced this. I am excited to see how you are gonna put the final story together.
Nelson, you have put a lot of thought and diligent work into the planning of your digital story. Very impressive! As someone who grew up in and now lives in the Midwest, where tornadoes show up more than we'd like (including in this past week), I am looking forward to your digital story and learning something new.
ReplyDeleteNelson, I feel like I am stating the obvious every week, but gosh darn it if you aren't so good at this already! You are so articulate in your posts and I know I will learn about tornadoes from what you've stated previously. I just know it's going to be informative and impressive.
ReplyDelete